Friday, January 11, 2008

Wine Club

Today I joined the Cafe le Grand's wine club, which features two selections per month for just $25. I chose the one red/one white option, though I normally prefer all red - because I do enjoy a white once in awhile. They set me up with my membership card and my first two bottles of wine. I had gone for coffee there with Dana Greiner this week and was astounded at their wonderful selection of wines. Who knew? They had some of my absolute favorites - some I've only been able to get through my sister in California in the past. Dana's husband (and Devon's sax teacher) John Greiner works there part time, and he told me all about the wine club - great idea. As I blog, I'm sipping one of my two first bottles from the membership, the New Age wine produced by Bodega Valentin Bianchi in Argentina. It's an interesting white 50/50 blend of Malvasia and Sauvignon Blanc. Halfway through the fermentation, the process is stopped by spinning the wine, resulting in a slightly sweet, semi sparkling wine. It's often served on the rocks with a slice of lime, and that's how I'm sipping it now. Normally I don't like anything "sweet", but paired with the lime it is refreshing and wonderful. Also in the package, the 2006 Hey mambo Sultry Red from the Other Guys division of Don Sebastiani & Sons that I plan to try next weekend. I can hardly wait for February's selections, which will include the Truchard merlot, which I have heard wonderful things about.
I've never met the owners of the Cafe, but the newsletter and blog they publish are wonderful. They are extremely knowledgeable about wine and are striving to bring some of the best labels to the area. I love it - and of course, I live less than a mile away.
The folks that run the Cafe have several wine tastings coming up and I plan to attend one soon. Check out their blog at www.cafelegrand.com!

No comments: