Sunday, January 06, 2008

It's Raining, It's Pouring....

This weekend was my January weekend off, and thank goodness because all I wanted to do was curl up next to the fireplace with a good book or two (or four, actually). The weather is terrible - foggy and raining, and all the beautiful snow is melting into a big sludge pile. It's like pea soup outside - you can't see down the block. The world is gray and misty, with the kind of weather that gets into your bones and just makes them ache. Friday night I took the kids out for dinner at Angelo's, and Saturday went for a martini at the Elks club, but other than that I pretty much laid low. The kids went to a birthday party sleepover Saturday night and John had to work, so I had the house to myself, which pretty much never happens when I'm not working. It finally gave me time to recover from the 2nd bout of pneumonia in six weeks and I'm feeling much better than I did last week. I re-read Dennis Lehane's Mystic River, and read Lisa Gardner's Alone, followed by Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian and David Baldacci's latest, Stone Cold. Good stuff.
The rain is disappointing - the kids are going to the school forest this week and were hoping to go cross country skiing, snowshoeing and tobogganing - but that will have to change unless we get some fresh snow. I, too, have been itching to get out on my "new" x-c skis but was sidelined with the pneumonia - it will just have to wait until the next good snowfall.

No comments: