Sunday, August 12, 2007

US Life Span Shorter

Americans are living longer than ever, but not as long as people in 41 other countries.
For decades, the United States has been slipping in international rankings of life expectancy, as other countries improve health care, nutrition and lifestyles.
Countries that surpass the U.S. include Japan and most of Europe, as well as Jordan, Guam and the Cayman Islands.
We're the richest country in the world, but we can't provide health care for our citizens. Obviously, that's one of the significant issues facing our government today.
But part of the problem has to be what we're eating. It's crap.
For the past week, I've been keeping track of my food intake - partly to see where my calories are coming from, but partly to see if I'm meeting daily nutritional requirements. And though I pride myself in being a "good" eater - I have fallen woefully short of the nutrition my body needs. It's time for a change - a big one.
One major concern I have is all of the hormones and antibiotics in the food we eat today. And the FDA - don't even get me started on how ineffective they are in policing our food industry. It's enough to make a girl go organic.
Or.....*gasp*.......vegan.
I just ordered a book by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin called "Skinny Bitch" that discusses these very issues and why what we eat isn't quite as healthy as we think it is. I'll post a review after it arrives and has been read.
For now, I'm taking a serious look at my eating habits. You can, too - for free - at www.fitday.com - if you're interested.

No comments: