Saturday, August 25, 2007

Final Resting Place

Yesterday, we finally put my father to rest. When he passed away in January, the ground obviously was frozen and burial was not possible. Krista made a quick trip home so we had a brief graveside ceremony yesterday to say our final goodbyes before his urn was lowered into the ground. My father's rosary that had been wrapped around my rear view mirror went into the grave with him as did photos of the kids, a letter from Alice, and some other small items of remembrance. The gravesite is located near the road in St. Michael's cemetery, across from Channel 9's newsroom. Dana remarked that my father would love that spot - because from there he could see everything happening around him. It was entirely the right thing to say. It was just family in attendance along with Dana, and just the sight of her walking across the cemetery toward us with a boquet in hand made me realize how thankful I am to have a friend like her through thick and thin. They say if you have one friend that stays with you throughout your lifetime you are lucky, and indeed I am.
I am hopeful that the finality of it all will help us all get through these days. Knowing that he is at rest, knowing that there is a place we can go to talk to him - it all helps. It's been a long eight months.

No comments: