Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Wisdom Teeth

Tomorrow morning I'm having all four of my wisdom teeth extracted. I know, 38 years old and I haven't done it yet, for Pete's sake. Ridiculous! It all comes from the Fear Of The Dentist instilled in my brain since I was little. I still get chills when I hear a drill. zzzzzzzzzzt! Why do they call them wisdom teeth, anyway? Does anybody know? At any rate, now that I've resigned myself to it I'm not nervous at all. Just not looking forward to the down time. Maybe I can use it to clean my pit of a house - I have really been slacking on the housework and can't seem to get with the program. I think with the Dog Days of summer, I just want to enjoy every last minute with the kids before the rat race of fall begins......and before you know it it'll be time to plan Thanksgiving dinner. Eghad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are generally thought to be called wisdom teeth because they appear so late—much later than the other teeth, at an age where people are supposedly wiser than as a child, when the other teeth erupt. English wisdom teeth, German Weisheitszahn, Dutch verstandskies, Belgian-Dutch wijsheidstand, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish visdomstand, French dent de sagesse, Italian dente del giudizio and Polish zęby mądrości, are likely to derive from Latin dens sapientiae. There exists an interesting Dutch folk etymology that the Dutch word is derived from far-standing-molars, and that mistranslations of the Dutch word are the root for corresponding words in other European languages.