Sunday, August 31, 2008

Corn Roast 2008




A family tradition for decades is the annual Big Falls Corn Roast, which I know I've written about on this blog on previous years.  The roast is held on the Sunday before Labor Day every year, and Big Falls (pop. 75) swells to hold five to ten thousand visitors.  There's a parade followed by a festival with live music, beer, raffles, lots of food, and all the corn you care to eat.  The corn is free, donated by area farmers, and each year they go through about 6 TONS of corn.  It's insanity.  I didn't attend last year, because it was too close to my father's passing - and going without him just seemed unthinkable.  But this year the kids talked me into it.  Just before I left, Darren called from his big music camping festival in Birnamwood, asking me to come get his 14 year old daughter Meg, who was not having a good weekend of it, so I picked her and her best friend Grace up along the way.  I would have just taken them home, but they were game to come to the fest, so we all went and had a great time.  When I drove them home, all the lights were off on the north end of town (EVERYTHING - creepy!) so I just brought the girls to my house, and they and the boys are in the living room watching a movie and eating plenty of junk food.  It's nice to have a house full - and they are great girls.  

1 comment:

Beth Up North said...

Glad you made it back to the Corn Roast. And now...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope it is going well and you are having an excellent day.
Hugs,
Beth