Saturday, August 09, 2008

Summertime....

....is my favorite season.
I love everything about it.  The sunshine, the breezes.  The cool nights.  I love that the kids are here with me instead of off at school all day long.  I love not having to get up early to get them off to school, since I always have to work really late at night.  I love spending my lunch hour floating in the pool with a good book and an iced tea.  And I love that the kids and I have time to do silly things together.  Tonight at about 9, we decided to all climb into the convertible and go for a spin.  We went to visit my dad at the cemetery, then went and got an ice cream at DQ.....then sat around the kitchen table and played a rip roaring game of Yahtzee, which Rowan won handily.  (I came in 2nd, and Devon 3rd.  Good thing they are both good sports!)  I suppose most people reading this would roll their eyes and think - eghad, a Saturday night playing Yahtzee and eating ice cream?  But to us it was fun.  We laughed and giggled and broke the zoom on my blackberry trying to take photos in the car (don't ask) and discussed why, exactly, their friend Joey has decided not to take a shower for the rest of the summer.  (Again - you don't want to know.)
At 11 and 12, I'm lucky they still want to hang out with their old mom.  I must seem pretty ancient to them sometimes.
I wish the summer would never end.

No comments: