Sunday, February 03, 2008

Forty Isn't Fabulous?

This September, I turn 40. Like so many of my friends facing the same big fat number, I am having a bit of a crisis about my life. It seems I am not alone.
According to a recent study, 40 isn't fabulous after all. For years, we've been told "life begins at 40". Not so, according to new research that clearly indicates dissatisfaction among women in their 40's. It's that midway point - life is half over. The kids are getting older. It's a time to begin asking serious questions about what we've accomplished and what we have yet to do.
I graduated 6th in my class with a 3.9 GPA. And what am I doing now? Yakking on the radio, analyzing radio airplay. Writing here & there. I'm certainly not doing anything truly meaningful. I never did go to med school. Never went to law school, not working for the Innocence Project. Not winning a Pulitzer prize for my writing anytime soon. Not even finishing my novel. So what's next? How do I fix it, and start living the life I want to lead? That's the question, and one I have no answers for. It's not about money - I couldn't care less about what I have or what I don't. It's the personal satisfaction, the belief that I can leave a positive mark on the world - that's what matters. And when I'm gone, what will I be remembered for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, F it. Just go get a big tattoo!

:)

RadioDDM said...

Hmmmm - I just might! :)