Sunday, February 17, 2008

Clowns, Musicians, and Saturday Night

One of the groups I play with, the Wausau Symphonic Band, had a concert last night with a circus theme. It was fun music with a lot of extras for the audience. The director wore a ringmaster's coat, and we had wonderful posters from Circus World to add to the theme. The only ick factor was the clown troupe that participated onstage, much to the delight of the theatre goers....but for me, the only thing worse than a clown is a clown with a squirting flower. I hate them and have an almost pathological fear of them. Their hair, the shoes - the makeup - ohhhhh, it's not funny at all. I practically had to xanax myself just to get onstage and play. But play I did and it was a good show. The second half featured Hornhead Michael B. Nelson on trombone and it was phenomenal. It's always so satisfying to be part of a group effort and have it all turn out well. Rehearsals begin anew next week for the next group's performance, though this group doesn't start up again until mid-March.

2 comments:

Tyson H said...

Our 10yo has been all the sudden interested in drums lately too...we're almost thinking about getting an electric set. What made you go with 'ol faithful...too quiet of a house? ;-)

RadioDDM said...

Actually, every single teacher I spoke to recommended traditional drums, so that's what I went with. Besides, those electric ones are ridiculously expensive (and they look weird, too, LOL!)