Saturday, September 02, 2006

Holiday Weekend

I love holidays. Big ones, little ones, every kind of holiday. Even though I work most of them, including this weekend, they always make me happy. Labor Day weekend is a time to look back on the fun we had all summer and accept the coming seasonal change. Today we were invited to a picnic at our friends home - Julie and Rob - and were treated to a fantastic dinner. After a delicious meal and perhaps too much vodka I'm now sitting in front of the computer, compulsively shopping for fall clothes on Ebay. I'm addicted - it's like the world's biggest shopping mall and I can go there in my favorite pajamas.
Several days ago, Devon brought out one of our photo scrapbooks from three years ago. It was fun to look through the photos and remember all the fun things we did - but I can't believe how quickly my children have grown. I want to make the most of every single minute with them, and I can't imagine the inevitable day when they leave me for new adventures. I can't bear the thought.
Try as I might, my patience wears thin at times - too much to do, too little time to do it - and too much frustration at doing it alone - and I worry that I'm not a good mother.......I just don't want my kids sitting around at Christmastime at age 40 sipping Tom & Jerry's talking about how screwed up their mother was. (Like we do.)

No comments: