Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Big Falls Corn Roast 2006

Labor Day weekend means our annual trek to the Big Falls Corn Roast, held every Sunday of Labor Day weekend. I've gone every year since I was born. Big Falls is a tiny town, population 75, in Waupaca County - about an hour's drive from here. My father keeps a small house there, and we spend the day eating our fair share of corn, watching the crazy 45 minute parade, and playing Bingo. My brother Dave comes, and we close down the beer tent and head to the village bar afterward. It's always fun. This year there was no Bingo (some sort of planning fiasco, I hear) and I had to forego spending the night due to a work conflict, but we all had a ball anyway. The craziest stuff happens in Big Falls during the corn roast, when the population swells to nearly 8 thousand people. I once saw a drunk man put an entire roll of quarters up his nose, one right after another. (I don't even want to know how THOSE came out!) The area farmers donate over 6 TON of sweet corn that's roasted by the bow hunters association and given away. Yum! This year at the parade I caught the funniest thing I've ever gotten on videotape - a float from a bar with a bunch of guys in grass skirts (and not much more) bellowing out "Fat Bottom Girls" - hilarious! Now, if only I can figure out how to pull that video off the mini-dv and onto the laptop, it's You Tube bound.
I'll post it here if I can ever figure the thing out. Ahhhh........the corn roast.....it makes the rockin' world go 'round!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: