Sunday, December 16, 2007

Free Skis!

The Sylvan Hill tubing area opened this weekend, and though Rowan is still too sick to go the kids can't wait to tube for the first time this year. Sylvan used to be a ski hill, but it was too small to really compete with our fabulous Granite Peak ski area, so thc county turned it into a tubing hill with two runs. The old tow ropes are still in use so you use that to get up the hill on your tube, and it's cheap fun at only $5 per person for kids. The chalet is warm and toasty with a fire crackling away - usually I take the kids and hang out by the fire with 50 cent hot chocolate and a book. Seeing as though I have been stuck in the house for weeks on end, my workout routine has really suffered, so I was interested to read the article in this week's newspaper talking about Sylvan's cross-country ski trails. I didn't even know they existed! Perfect opportunity for me to get some exercise while the kids are tubing. The only problem? No skis - and with Christmas fast approaching I did not want to spend any money on myself. We have a few pair of cross country skis in the garage that we brought back from John's parents cottage when they sold it, but they have the old style bindings and there are no boots that fit me, so I'd thought of buying boots and replacing the bindings, but even that would be pricey right now. Early yesterday morning I noticed an ad from the Freecycle Network for a pair of waxless Edsbyn skis in my size with boots - also in my size - and a pair of poles up for grabs. I was lucky enough to be the first to respond, and yesterday afternoon I picked up my new skis. They are older but in great shape, and the boots fit really well. It's fate, I tell you! So now I can't wait for next weekend, when I can take the kids to the hill and I can get some x-c ski time in. It's been years since I've done it but I used to love it - so this should be great!

No comments: