Saturday, September 01, 2007

Labor Day Weekend

Every year since I was little, our family has attended the Big Falls Corn Roast in the tiny town of Big Falls, WI - about an hour from here in Waupaca county. My grandmother on my mom's side had a house there that my father owned after her death (long story there!) and we'd all take the day off to cruise over for the annual festival, during which the small town's population swells from the usual 75 to about 8,000. Folks come from all over for the festival, and we always loved it. My dad would go the night before to get everything ready, and wait for our arrival in the morning. We'd stay for the day and usually spend the night, eating our share of the six tons of corn donated to the festival by area farmers. There is beer, great food, homemeade pies, free corn, and fun carnival games for the kids - and usually some pretty decent musical entertainment, too. You can look for last year's Corn Roast entry on the blog for photos! But this year, I can't bring myself to go, and I have opted to pick up a bunch of work all weekend and just stay home. The kids are disappointed - but I can't bear it, can't stand the thought of going without my dad. I think by next year I'll be ready - but for now, I just can't do it.

No comments: