Monday, September 24, 2007

Goodbye, Summer


I know in Wisconsin most people love autumn, but fall is not my favorite time of year. Today the leaves fell like fat snowflakes as the wind blew and the rain fell in torrents. Fall depresses me terribly. A season of change, of things dying, of memories left behind. The kids another year older, another year closer to leaving. Always, it seems, a time of regret, of things not completed.
The fall colors have begun to show themselves. At school, the kids are planning a fall color walk for the parents on Friday if the weather holds which should make for some wonderful photo opportunities.
We've finally given up and closed the pool, put the winter cover on, and have brought the pump indoors for the season. The summers here are so beautiful - I never want them to end.
Last week I only made it to the gym three times rather than my usual five, but I'm in a full blown lupus flareup and my joints ache like nobody's business. I forced myself to go today and will tomorrow as well - perhaps with a slightly different workout to accomodate the pain. So far I've lost 16 pounds, though somehow I gained two over the weekend (what the hell???) - must have been the calamari and martinis Saturday night. Eeek!

No comments: