Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Bad Girl

Ten days since I last posted - oh, my. I have no excuse, either. I just have been in a bit of a slump.
It's been a week of ups and downs at our house. John is getting the hang of being back in school, and so are the kids. Devon started rehearsals with the Choraliers - his singing group - and both boys lessons at the Wausau Conservatory of Music have begun.
In addition to the guitar, Rowan has had his heart set completely on playing the drums in the 6th grade band. The Montessori kids don't have band, but after much lobbying he was told he could take band with the Horace Mann kids. All summer long, it's all he could think about. Drums! Band! Big fun! But he was distressed to learn that there were 12 students who wanted to play the drums - and only 4 could be accepted. He worked....he practiced his counting and his notereading like crazy. We bought sticks, a book, and a practice pad. But I'm afraid his best wasn't quite what it needed to be, because he was turned down for the percussion section on Monday. And let me tell you, he was crushed.
There may have been other kids better, but I guarantee no kid wanted it more. It's just too bad.
To every cloud, however, there is a silver lining, and we were delighted to learn that our newly formed partnership with the Wausau Conservatory will allow for in-school lessons taught by WCM faculty - and among the offerings is Michael Kowaleski's drumset.....so all is not lost, and he will be taking lessons beginning next week.
Private lessons are wonderful, but it isn't like the camraderie and fun of playing in the band. The band director, who I know from playing together in the Wausau Symphony, actually called me on Tuesday to ask how we could get Rowan interested in another instrument. He had not been there the day of tryouts (which makes me wonder if the outcome might have been different if he had) and knew how much Rowan wanted this. We talked a bit, and Jeff thought he'd like to talk to Rowan about giving something else a try - and perhaps moving into the drums if a vacancy occurs (which invariably it does - people do quit!) so after talking with him a bit Rowan has decided to take up the Baritone Tuba, a fabulous sounding instrument that I think will be an excellent choice. So now we've got Devon playing piano & violin while singing, too.....and Rowan on guitar, drums, and Baritone. Then there's my flute, piccolo, and cello. I think we're going to have to refinance so we can build another room just for all the instruments!
I'm so impressed with how much Jeff Murray cared about getting Rowan involved - he really went the extra mile more than I think most would have. I hope now Rowan feels better about it all.....but wow, his heart was truly broken when he was told he wasn't accepted. It made me want to bawl.

No comments: