Friday, November 12, 2010

Mad, Mad, Mad

Yesterday, I was happy. Today, I am angry. Very, very angry.
I know high school is hard. I know kids can be mean. But for my oldest son, who lets EVERYTHING roll off his back, to come home begging for a transfer to a different high school, it's become a nightmare. I don't know what to do.
My beautiful, wonderful, smart, talented kid.
He looked forward to starting Wausau East all summer long. Couldn't wait! Came home after day one so enthused. Joined curling, debate, German club. Going out for lacrosse in the spring. In band. This is my mostly A's and a few B's student who has plenty of friends. Works out 3 times a week, runs and lifts weights whenever he can. And all it took to destroy it all was a couple of mean kids spreading rumors, calling him names, and making life completely miserable for him.
They call him slow and retarded. They say he's on drugs, his dad is on drugs, he's a moron.
Initially I called the school for help and was satisfied they'd nipped the problem in the bud. Now? The problem is continuing, and getting worse, and my formerly happy child dreads going to school, has headaches every week, and is having trouble concentrating on anything.
What is the MATTER with people today? With kids? With their parents? I am far from perfect and so are my children. But at least I know they're not mean, not bullies, not participating in that kind of crap.
I wish I could get my hands on the kids that do.

No comments: