Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's Thanksgiving Day morning, and I'm up before everyone else. Traditionally, I work the holiday in addition to hosting the dinner celebration for both families, mine and John's. This year, we're expecting 12, down from a high of 18 two years ago. Notably absent, of course, is my father, but in addition, John's brother divorced earlier this year, eliminating his wife and her two children and the friends they usually brought along for the festivities. I'll miss them all - I really enjoyed Trudy and her boys.
My dad usually made the pumpkin pies and Trudy made a bunch of things, too. This year my mom is in charge of the pies (except the apple, that's my bag) and I've assigned each family member one small thing to bring. The bulk of the dinner I gladly make myself, planning the meal weeks in advance to try new recipes and resurrect old favorites.
This year I ordered a free range turkey which is brining in the cooler on the deck right now, and bought a ham that's already simmering in the crockpot with a cola/brown sugar/cinnamon concoction as a glaze. The apple pie is in the oven, and I've got everything set out. On the menu aside from the above, a new stuffing recipe (unheard of, I don't usually mess with perfection - LOL!); green bean, watercress and crispy shallot salad; roasted harvest vegetables; cranberry grape compote (already in the fridge!); mashed potatoes and gravy; and assorted dips, crackers, and relishes. It is literally the largest meal I make all year.
Tuesday I'm picking up the Christmas tree that I won in the Una Notte Bella auction, freshly cut from one of the faculty members farms, and I've begun my Christmas shopping in earnest. The season always makes me so happy, but this year when I allow myself to think about it I am unbearably sad to celebrate without my dad. Every day I am stopping at his grave to put a stone on the marker, a tradition that says "I remember you".....it's the only thing I can do.

No comments: