Sunday, May 27, 2007

More Photos from Mexico







I don't think I've quite recoverd yet. Today is my first day back at work, and all I've done is slept for the past two days.....and I could sleep more! Time to snap out of it.
The thing that struck me in Mexico was the contrast between beauty and poverty. Average pay is four dollars US per day. It made me appreciate the things we take for granted.....the cars, the clothes, the extras that these people will never have....and it explains too why so many are willing to risk so much to get here. Their houses are impossibly small and broken down.....the schools are tiny. There is garbage everywhere. Yet even on the ugliest street you'll see a flash of color - gorgeous flowers, a brightly painted wall....that can make you smile.
When I go again (I say when, not if) I know I'll go to Tulum to stay, because this area was by far the most beautiful that I had seen. We spent a half day touring the walled Mayan city of Tulum, where the archaeological ruins sit atop the highest point of the Yucutan peninsula, overlooking the Caribbean Sea. At the end of the tour, we climbed down the cliff and swam at the pristine beach. The water tasted like the salt on a margarita glass. After drying off in the sun, we shopped at a flea market and sat at at a small outdoor cafe eating tacos and drinking beer, watching the world go by. It sounds benign, I'm sure, but it was the best day of the trip, and I'd love to capture that feeling again.
More photos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a lot of fun. Was that photo of the lizard a wild lizard or in a cage? What kind was it? Looks pretty big.