Saturday, April 07, 2007

Novel

For the past three years, I have been working on a novel. Not just one novel, but I get halfway done, hate it, and start over. I have taken two novel writing classes, both of which have been extremely helpful in figuring out how to flesh out characters and plotlines, but haven't found exactly the right story to tell. When my father became ill, I started fresh and have been working on it ever since. Someone I work with who is a published author gave me advice a few weeks ago that I have adhered to since - write one page a day. Every day. No matter what, one page. Like it or hate it, it's the best way to get your creative juices flowing - and so far I think he's right! I have been writing a page a day, even on the busiest days - and so far the result has been some solid work toward my goal - and I really love the storyline.
Aspiring authors - take the advice of my friend and write a page a day. If you do, you'll have a novel in a year.....and that's a reachable goal.

No comments: