Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cancer

They say cancer is the great equalizer, and after one day in the treatment room with my father, I can see why. The room was filled today with people from all walks of life. In one chair, a former neighbor.....in another, a former mayor. A 20 something young man in a Harley t-shirt. A young mother struggling with breast cancer. All filled with hope and despair as the poison drips into their veins - the "cure" at times as terrifying as the disease.
The oncologist tried a new drug on my father today - Rituximab - which caused a severe reaction. His sats plummeted and they had to stop treatment immediately. So scary. So....it appears we will have to revert to the "old" chemo, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about all of that. It's worked for him in the past, but he has never been this sick. It's in the bone marrow now, and all over his body. I can only watch and pray, and keep things as normal here for the boys as I can.
Yesterday marked the general election and of course I try to pass along a healthy respect for the voting system and our government in general to my children. Rowan takes it a little more seriously than I expected, though. Last night he asked if he could stay up late to "watch the election returns" - and at Midnight I caught him surfing www.cbsnews.com to find out whether the Dems took control of the House.
Alex P. Keaton has nothing on Rowan.

No comments: