Thursday, December 08, 2011

Happy Birthday, Jimmy Galway

This morning, I've tuned in XM's Symphony Hall as I begin my work day;  I find the music both satisfying and calming.  Famed flutist James Galway is on, my second favorite flute player of all time (you just can't beat Jean Pierre Rampal....sorry, Jimmy!) 
As I listen to Devienne's Flute Concerto #8, my fingers mimic his, patterns becoming familiar as I hear it once again.  I played this as as state contest piece more than 25 years ago, back when I practiced 3 hours a day - every day - and no, I'm not kidding.
I aced it then.  Now, anxiety grips my heart when I play, struggling through what once would have been effortless passages as a flutist with the Wausau Symphony Orchestra.  What happened to me?  What changed?
I once dreamed only of playing....now that dream is just a wisp of smoke.   I wipe away tears as I mourn what I once was, and try to find contentment in what I have become.

No comments: