Friday, May 20, 2011

May 20

What is success, and how do we measure it?  Is it measured by the happiness we feel?  The money we make?  The prestige of a job, a position, a label? 

Lately, I'm not so sure.  I work, but my work is at home.  That doesn't seem to cut it with everyone.  My doorbell constantly rings, my phone is always buzzing.  My mother simply walks in my door, unannounced, and starts talking.  When I let her know politely that I'm in the middle of an article, she says, "Oh, that's okay!" and loudly starts fawning over the cats. 

I just don't get it.

Even now, at this very moment, my daughter won't stop talking to me, even though she can see that I'm typing.  (Blogging isn't working, I know - but she doesn't know that.)

How do you deal with it - the constant interruptions?  Battling the constant perception that writers "don't work"?  Because I'd sure love to hear your ideas.

In the meantime, I'll sign off - since the doorbell is ringing once again and it's time to run errands with my son.  (*sigh*).......
Happy Friday.

2 comments:

Beth Up North said...

I know exactly what you are saying. My husband often walks in when I am writing, sits down a few feet away, and either waits or just starts talking. Grrrrrrrr. Especially annoying when I am finally on to something and following an elusive mental thread. Plus, few realize how much time goes into what takes a short time to "consume"/read. Perhaps a bolt on the door for mom?? or one of those invisible fences to keep people OUT instead of pets in? Knowing you, you will come up with a more elegant solution.
All the best from your old friend,
Beth

Ed said...

Don't reply. Act like you don't hear them. See how long it takes for them to tap you on the shoulder. :)