Friday, March 14, 2008

Goldmine?

Yesterday morning, I saw a terrific piece on Good Morning America about the soaring price of gold - and how many are cashing in on the old, broken jewelry hidden in their closets at home. The reporter who put together the story took several of her old necklaces & bracelets to a reputable gold dealer and cashed them in for nearly $400 - and it was a very small pile, let me tell you. Inspired, I rummaged through my jewelry box yesterday for the few things I knew I owned that were broken or hopelessly out of date, and gathered a small package of necklaces, bracelets, rings and pins I've had for 25 years or so - and began researching in earnest.
Selling your gold on the Internet is pretty easy. Googling "selling my gold" will give you a host of sites - some reputable, some questionable - as well as some message boards with great hints. After comparing prices and Better Business Bureau ratings, I selected www.goldpak.com who had an easily downloadable form including a prepaid FedEx shipment label to overnight your valuables, a tracking number, and complete instructions that were simple to follow. I shipped my package that day, and according to the tracking, a check has already been issued for my gold items. I can't wait to see how much it's for. I'm hoping for something in the 200 to 300 dollar range.
They'll send me a complete inventory of each item's value, and if I've changed my mind I have 10 days in which to send the check back if I'd like my jewelry returned. I'm sure I won't change my mind - but it's nice to know there's an option just in case. Watch for the final total - I'll be sure to post it as soon as the check arrives. How exciting!

No comments: